Sets up and operates a variety of precision machines (lathes, boring mills, CNC machines, small mills) to perform a variety of precision boring, milling, drilling, tapping, turning, threading and facing operations. Requires a high degree of skill and knowledge of tooling to maintain exacting tolerance on interrelated dimensions. Plans and lays out work, reads blueprints, grinds tools.
Journey Machinist or 3 to 5 years experience as a skilled machinist. Mechanical skills and aptitude. Blueprint reading and interpretation. Ability to communicate effectively and get along with fellow employees. Basic math and reading skills. Knowledge of high-speed and carbide tooling. Owns tools, measuring devices, and small hand tools. Must be a self starter and dependable worker, who is committed to continuous improvement.
Second shift: 4:30pm-2:30am
Primary skills and responsibilities: (Others may be assigned)
- Studies machining instructions such as job order, blueprint, process sheet, or layout on work piece to determine machining required, sequence of operation, tooling, feed, and speed rate
- Positions and secures work piece to table, angle plate, vise, or chuck and verifies position. Selects and mounts tools.
- Moves controls to set feeds, speeds, and depth of cut, and to position tool and work piece in relation to each other, verifying position visually, with instruments, and by reading dials
- Starts machine and observes operation, making one or more trial passes with manual control before engaging feed
- Verifies dimensions of machined work piece with such measuring instruments as micrometers, telescoping gauges, vernier calipers, and dial indicators. Works to close tolerances.
- Uses precision positioning devices such as dial indicators mounted on machine troughs with standard length rods and work to close tolerances
- Operates machine with automatic positioning controls
- Lays out reference lines and machining locations on work piece, according to blueprints
- Operates bench grinder to sharpen tools
- Must adhere to safety requirements of the shop and maintain a clean work environment
- Optional skills: CNC programming “Mazatrol” and “Fanuc”